We have added eight new lesson videos to the Equipped for Life Course that will help you take the pro-life defense of fetal personhood to the next level. This 90-minute module is the result of a four-year research project that our philosophy team has been working on behind the scenes. In these videos, we teach an advanced version of the Equal Rights Argument that gives a philosophically thorough explanation as to why human embryos should be considered valuable persons with serious moral status.
Become an Equipped for Life member today: https://equippedcourse.com
An Overview of the Lessons:
- Lesson 1: Sometimes You Need an Advanced Argument – We explain why seasoned pro-life advocates should have the second version of the Equal Rights Argument in their tool belt for abortion dialogues, even though the first version is more straight-forward and easier to understand.
- Lesson 2: The Problem – We identify the problem of a simplified argument, even though it is more straight-forward and easy to understand and show why some people will need a more sophisticated explanation of personhood.
- Lesson 3: Higher-Order Capacities – We introduce a hierarchical system of capacities that provides a philosophically precise understanding of potential.
- Lesson 4: Moral Agency – We argue that moral agency is fundamental for serious moral status and that other possible explanations, such as rationality and others that pro-choice people use in the original Equal Rights Argument, don’t work.
- Lesson 5: Responding to the Critics: Tooley’s Cat – We respond to the strongest objection to our claims about personhood made by pro-choice philosophers like Michael Tooley, David Boonin, and Jeff McMahan. We also address what philosophers call “marginal cases” and answer why we think it is philosophically consistent to say that children with anencephaly are valuable people, too.
- Lesson 6: What about Imago Dei? – We consider the biblical argument that human beings are created in the image and likeness of God as an alternative to our approach.
- Lesson 7: Review – We summarize these lessons for quick reference later.
- Lesson 8: Example Dialogues – We provide three example dialogues for you to see how both versions of the Equal Rights Argument could be used in real-time.
Download Audio MP3 | 00:22:53
I recently sat in our new studio to give you an update on what’s been going on behind the scenes at Equal Rights Institute. There are a lot of visuals in this video, so it’s best watched instead of listened to on the podcast, but both are available.
Are you pro-life? Then your social media timeline has probably been filled with angry pro-choice posts and memes lately. Do you sometimes wonder how best to respond to the arguments in these statuses? Then this webinar is for you!
Josh Brahm and Rachel Crawford from Equal Rights Institute will go through some of the most popular pro-choice memes and systematically refute them, showing you the most important points to make about each if you’re discussing them with someone who is pro-abortion-choice. They will also offer some practical tips for debating pro-choice people online in this moment in history when pro-choice people are more afraid of Roe v Wade being overturned and angry at pro-life people than ever before.
Afterward, they will respond to YOUR questions and offer a special discount for the Equipped for Life Course!
Registration required to get access to the live webinar and the replay: SAVE YOUR SEAT
Published May 9, 2019
It is with a heavy heart that I announce the resignation of Timothy Brahm as Director of Training, which became effective on May 3rd, 2019. Tim feels that God is leading him somewhere else, and we wish him the very best. We temporarily delayed making this announcement more public (i.e. an email blast, Facebook post, etc.) to give Tim time to personally inform his supporters.
Having co-founded ERI with me, Tim did amazing and breakthrough things for the pro-life movement, and Tim was integral to the successes ERI shared. Tim is leaving ERI, but everyone agrees that his imprint won’t leave the organization. Tim should be proud of what he accomplished at ERI. He co-founded a great pro-life organization with some of the best pro-life writing and philosophical work in the entire movement, and none of that goes away just because he’s not working in the office. Even the ideas that Tim was still in process on with the rest of our Philosophy Team are things that will continue to be developed.
On behalf of myself, our board, and our staff, I wish Tim the very best in his new endeavors.
Josh Brahm (left) and Timothy Brahm (right)
While Tim’s contributions will be missed, ERI will continue to be a strong organization for the future. From a desire to develop a strong team of philosophers several years ago, diversifying the group by hiring Rachel Crawford and Andrew Kaake are two of the best decisions we’ve made since we launched ERI. They are ridiculously smart and will continue to see problems and work on solutions in the same way we always have. If you love the philosophical work we do, none of that is going away. Rachel Crawford is taking over leadership of the Philosophy Team, and it’s been incredible to see her rise to the challenge.
I greatly look forward to seeing how God continues to work through this organization as we grow our staff and expand our projects. Our current focus is on completing the sidewalk counseling course, using our new video studio to expand the Equipped for Life Course and create great YouTube videos, and relaunch the Equipped for Life Podcast.
President and Co-Founder
When we first launched the course in the Fall of 2016 we decided to format it as an annual membership because we wanted to best serve our main demographic: pro-life student club leaders who want to train their new incoming students every year. After asking for feedback from course members, we have decided to shift our subscription model to better accommodate the needs of pro-life advocates who are not associated with any particular group, but are just as excited to go through our curriculum. We also want to encourage those college students who began the course with a group to stay involved in the movement after graduation by keeping their membership active. For these reasons, I am excited to tell you that the Equipped for Life Course will now use a permanent membership model!
This means that anyone who has ever purchased a subscription in the past will have their membership switched over to permanent active status. Anyone who purchases the course going forward will also have permanent access! Whether you buy the course alone or as part of a group package, no memberships will ever expire. I am happy that we are able to change the format for course members in this way because I think it will better serve the needs of pro-life advocates. Ultimately, that is what is most important to our organization!
We will be implementing these changes over the next few weeks on the backend of the website. If you have any questions, please feel free to contact us at Support@EqualRightsInstitute.com.
If would like more information or would like to purchase the course, go to EquippedCourse.com.