My speech from the 2015 Students for Life of America conference in D.C. has been posted! These are six practical tips for having good dialogues with pro-choice people.
Six practical tips for having good dialogues:
- Silence your inner monologue.
- Rephrase what they said.
- Find genuine common ground when possible.
- Acknowledge the horror of rape.
- Be intentional with your body language.
- Be willing to jump to another topic.
- I referenced Steve Wagner’s book, “Common Ground Without Compromise.” You can get it for free at CommonGroundBook.com.
- I referenced what I call “Fetus Tunnel Vision.” Read more about that concept and why it hurts pro-life dialogues at this post: 4 Reasons Pro-Lifers Need to Stop Doing This. Read the two follow-up posts here and here.
- I wrote a post that goes into more detail on body language here: Why You Shouldn’t Face the Person You’re Talking To.
- If you want to keep up with what we’re learning about how to have good dialogues with pro-choice people, subscribe to this blog and/or our monthly newsletter here.
Please note: The goal of the comments section on this blog is simply and unambiguously to promote productive dialogue. We reserve the right to delete comments that are snarky, disrespectful, flagrantly uncharitable, offensive, or off-topic. If in doubt, read our Comments Policy.