Download MP3 | 1:24:44
It’s our first podcast with Emily Albrecht, the co-president of St. Olaf Students for Life and our next speaker/writer/coach! Josh and Emily discuss the recent HBO film “Unpregnant” because there are themes taught in this movie that may influence some of your conversations with pro-choice people who have seen it.
If you would like to watch the film before listening to our commentary, we invite you to do that. We will discuss the entire plot in this episode.
- 0:00: Introducing Emily;
- 3:32: Introducing the film and our initial reactions to it;
- 7:05: Summarizing the plot of the movie;
- 10:03: How pro-life people are portrayed in the movie;
- 27:34: Why pro-choice students hated St. Olaf Students for Life’s original name;
- 33:22: Why it would be wrong to kidnap abortion-minded women or kill abortion practitioners, and Josh vents about the actual state of religious liberty in 2020;
- 45:48: An important lesson that sidewalk counselors can take from this film;
- 51:36: How the abortion was portrayed in the film and how the director specifically wanted to normalize abortion;
- 59:27: The film’s attempt to argue that it should be easier to get an abortion;
- 1:01:16: Wait, this movie supports anti-coercion forms in abortion facilities?
- 1:04:00: Final commentary on the abortion scene;
- 1:08:00: A better argument against parental notification laws than the film made;
- 1:11:16: Four points of common ground we have with the film;
- 1:19:53: Comparing and contrasting this film with preachy Christian movies.
- How One Student Group Radically Changed Their Campus Culture (our first video with Emily Albrecht about the effect their club had at St. Olaf College): https://youtu.be/lAsOzyg7M2c
- Our Take on the “AKA Jane Roe” Documentary: https://bit.ly/2O7vGDi
- Reversing Roe: Exposing the Bias: https://youtu.be/dvS6m3laO8U?list=PLsN8Ay8poS-LyKV…
- How Should Pro-Life Advocates Talk about That “13 Reasons Why” Abortion Episode? http://bit.ly/2PidtpT
- Why it Would Be Wrong for Pro-Lifers to Drive Abortion Clinic Vans Under False Pretenses: http://bit.ly/2m3MTCb
- David French: The True Extent of Religious Liberty in America, Explained: https://bit.ly/3ezAuxH
- Sidewalk Counseling Masterclass: https://SidewalkCounselingMasterclass.com
- Here’s the Entertainment Tonight story Emily referenced: ‘Unpregnant’: Barbie Ferreira and Haley Lu Richardson on Making a Heartfelt Comedy About Abortion (Exclusive) https://et.tv/3f4RXho. It includes these two quotes:
- “One thing I love about this movie is how sure Veronica is, of what her choice is, from the beginning,” the director explains. “This isn’t a movie about hand wringing, what decision to make. She knows what she wants, and that’s very much how I felt about my abortion. It felt like the right choice for me — I knew what I wanted to do and I did it.”
- “I love the idea of normalizing the topic of abortion and reproductive rights but also telling a different perspective on it and how people shouldn’t have to feel a certain way after getting an abortion,” Ferreira adds. “There’s a whole range and spectrum of emotions that happen.”
- Josh Keefe: Why Christian Movies are BAD | The Problem with Christian Media: https://youtu.be/50_3J6Go5Ng