Download MP3 | 1:05:08
Jordan Warfel is our guest today because he discovered a conspiracy theory that NARAL promoted in a recent virtual conference. The theory is based on a book by Ilyse Hogue that argues the pro-life movement doesn’t actually care about babies, but is a front for evangelicals to bring back racial segregation. The discussion includes the horrible dialogue advice NARAL is giving, how both sides often communicate about opinion polls simplistically, and NARAL’s strategy to infiltrate the Black Lives Matter movement. You’re not going to want to miss this one.
- 00:00 Introducing Jordan Warfel;
- 2:04 Explaining the conspiracy theory and several problems with it;
- 27:11 Evidence from the modern pro-life movement that Hogue uses to support her theory;
- 29:17 The NARAL conference giving the worst dialogue advice ever and a discussion of how both sides often communicate about opinion polls simplistically;
- 38:25 Josh makes an observation and hypothesizes a conspiracy theory of his own;
- 43:37 NARAL’s strategy to infiltrate the Black Lives Matter movement;
- 46:55 Practical tips for talking to a pro-choice person who has heard this conspiracy theory that the pro-life movement is racist.
You can purchase Ilyse Hogue’s book “The Lie That Binds” here if you want to read it for yourself:
You can purchase “Fetal Beauty” by Jordan Warfel here:
ERI: Our Take on the “AKA Jane Roe” Documentary:
Josh references a 9/11 truther documentary. It’s “Loose Change.”
We feel it would be irresponsible to link to “Loose Change” without linking to counter-arguments, so here are a few helpful links debunking 9/11 truther conspiracies:
Popular Mechanics Investigates 9/11 Myths – FAQs:
Screw Loose Change – Exposing the Lies, Distortions and Myths of the 9/11 “Truthers”:
ERI: One Easy Step to Avoiding Confirmation Bias – Interview with Tangle Founder Isaac Saul:
Learn about QAnon:
The Dispatch: The GOP’s Conspiracy Theorist Problem:
The Dispatch Podcast: GOP Flirts with QAnon:
Politico: Trump accuses Cruz’s father of helping JFK’s assassin:
FTC disclosure: The two Amazon book links are affiliate links, meaning that if you click one of them and then purchase the book, ERI will receive a small percentage of the purchase at no cost to you.
Please note: The goal of the comments section on this blog is simply and unambiguously to promote productive dialogue. We reserve the right to delete comments that are snarky, disrespectful, flagrantly uncharitable, offensive, or off-topic. If in doubt, read our Comments Policy.