Download MP3 – 51:52
This is a continuation of Josh’s conversation with Gary Freeman on crossing the racial divide in pro-life work. In this episode they discuss the high abortion rate in the African-American community and why that is, and how we should think about the debate over Planned Parenthood being an allegedly racist organization.
Learn more about Major League Dad here:
Alan Guttmacher Institute article that Josh referenced: “Abortion and Women of Color: The Bigger Picture”:
Audio recording of Josh’s “Planned Parenthood Unveiled” presentation from before ERI, including his explanation of why Planned Parenthood is not a racist organization:
https://bit.ly/3s2kjRb (Direct MP3 link)
Audio recording of a Q&A session from another recording of the “Planned Parenthood Unveiled” presentation with more discussion on the racism question:
https://bit.ly/3vTS9Jb (Direct MP3 link)
Live Action’s investigation on Planned Parenthood systematically covering up sexual abuse:
ERI’s coverage of the Center for Medical Progress videos:
Live Action’s investigation into “racially-motivated donations”:
Angela Franks’ book “Margaret Sanger’s Eugenic Legacy: The Control of Female Fertility”:
https://amzn.to/3FeSR8t (affiliate link)
Josh Chatraw’s book “Telling a Better Story: How to Talk About God in a Skeptical Age”:
https://amzn.to/3snHjun (affiliate link)
- 00:00 The way pro-life people tend to talk about this statistical disparity
- 4:46 What is going on with the African-American abortion rate?
- 8:21 Is the Alan Guttmacher Institute right that the higher unintended pregnancy rate among African-Americans is part of the puzzle?
- 11:20 Is Walter Hoye right when he says that abortion is less stigmatized in the African-American community?
- 15:45 Why Gary doesn’t use the word “privilege” in the way it often is used
- 16:42 Josh summarizes some of the reasons pro-lifers tend to call Planned Parenthood a “racist organization” and his take
- 22:37 Gary’s response
- 26:29 Acknowledging examples of real racism in the abortion industry
- 27:24 How pro-life people could better help these people not choose abortion
- 29:16 Considering Live Action’s racism investigation
- 33:54 Considering Margaret Sanger
- 44:58 Should pro-lifers talk about Margaret Sanger in order to get African-Americans to distrust Planned Parenthood?
- 48:20 Why pro-lifers should be careful how they talk about Planned Parenthood with pro-choice people
Disclosure: The books above are Amazon affiliate links. This means that, at zero cost to you, ERI will earn an affiliate commission if you click through the links and finalize a purchase.