Download Audio MP3 | 00:58:19
Josh, Tim, and Rachel continue a multi-part series on how to be an effective pro-life advocate on social media. In this episode they begin a series of 35 practical tips in five categories.
Here are the tips covered in this episode:
- Move to PM or in person as soon as possible, and then to Skype/in-person soon after that. Once you’re in PM, get personal.
- Make minimal persuasion goals. It’s more of a marathon on Facebook than outreach.
- Make limited claims.
- Be aware of the lack of nonverbal communication. It’s just your text and your profile pic if they don’t know you. Given that, you need to write a little bit as a caricature of yourself so that after it’s been filtered, it comes out fairly accurately.
- Post things with pro-choice people in mind. Will it make pro-lifers raise their fists but cause pro-choice people to be frustrated and less likely to talk to you, your friends, and all the other pro-lifers? Then don’t share it.
- Assume the best about people.
- Take a step back if you’re feeling defensive.
Sorry about the occasional coughing you’ll hear in the background. Some of the team had colds while we recorded this episode.
- YouTube: AwakenWithJP – Being a Social Justice Warrior
- YouTube: Fmr. Facebook Exec: Social Media Ripping Apart Society, “You are programmed.” (Uncensored)
- YouTube: Anonymous – This will Change Everything You Know (Longer video with more clips like the one from the Facebook exec)
- YouTube: Glenn Loury on Mass Incarceration in the United States (Part 1 of 7)
- YouTube: The Office – Whomever Debate