Download Audio MP3 | 00:53:06
Josh and Rachel look at a research article published by the Association for Psychological Science (APS) in 2019, Perspective Taking and Self-Persuasion: Why “Putting Yourself in Their Shoes” Reduces Openness to Attitude Change, and discuss how it should influence the way we make pro-life arguments.
- 4:00 Summarizing the research
- 15:16 How ERI develops new apologetics arguments.
- 28:33 Personality research from Jordan Peterson points to reasons behind political disagreement.
- 37:45 Does perspective-taking help with empathy but not creating arguments?
- 42:46 Shared values help to move persuasion forward.
- Stanford Business article about the study:
- “Perspective Taking and Self-Persuasion: Why “Putting Yourself in Their Shoes” Reduces Openness to Attitude Change”:
Subscribe to the Equipped for Life Podcast on Apple Podcasts or Spotify. Subscribe to ERI’s other podcast on Apple Podcasts or Spotify.
Please note: The goal of the comments section on this blog is simply and unambiguously to promote productive dialogue. We reserve the right to delete comments that are snarky, disrespectful, flagrantly uncharitable, offensive, or off-topic. If in doubt, read our Comments Policy.