6 Practical Tips for Having Good Dialogues
Six practical tips for having good dialogues:
- Silence your inner monologue.
- Rephrase what they said.
- Find genuine common ground when possible.
- Acknowledge the horror of rape.
- Be intentional with your body language.
- Be willing to jump to another topic.
- Josh referenced Steve Wagner’s book, “Common Ground Without Compromise.” You can get it for free at CommonGroundBook.com.
- Josh referenced what we call “Fetus Tunnel Vision.” Read more about that concept and why it hurts pro-life dialogues at this post: 4 Reasons Pro-Lifers Need to Stop Doing This. Read the two follow-up posts here and here.
- Josh wrote a post that goes into more detail on body language here: Why You Shouldn’t Face the Person You’re Talking To.
I’m Pro-Life, But…
- Download MP3. (51 minutes)
- Josh Brahm responds to four common statements and questions that start with “I’m pro-life, but…” at the 2014 Students for Life of America West Coast National Conference. Includes a discussion of the three essential skills for good dialogue, the Equal Rights Argument for the pro-life position and responding to the question, “what about rape?”
Responding to Secular Views of the Human Person
- Josh’s speech at Fresno Pacific University’s Evidence 2014 conference. He explains the Equal Rights Argument and the three different ways you can make a positive case for fetal personhood: Imago Dei, the Rational Nature Argument, and Don Marquis’ Future of Value Argument.
8 Faulty Pro-Life Arguments & Tactics
- This is a recording of Josh Brahm’s presentation at the 2015 Oregon Right to Life conference.
Understanding and Responding to Bodily Rights Arguments
- Download MP3. (56 minutes)
- This is a recording of Josh Brahm’s presentation of the “de facto guardian” argument at the Students for Life of America Regional Leadership Summit at UCLA. He describes both types of bodily rights arguments, discusses the most common pro-life responses to the violinist analogy and why some of them are unpersuasive to many pro-choice atheists, and then explains the de facto guardian argument that may solve this problem.
What If the Mothers Life is at Risk?
- Download MP3. (24-minutes.)
- This is a recording of a presentation Josh Brahm made at the Students for Life of America Regional Leadership Summit at UCLA, including Q&A on this difficult subject.
- Our thinking on this subject is heavily influenced by our friend Trent Horn at Catholic Answers. Trent has done a lot of research and great thinking on this subject, and the material we presented is largely based on what Trent has written on the subject that we subsequently agreed with.
Stem Cell Research 101: A “Brave New World”
- Download MP3
- As pro-lifers we need to understand stem cell research for the same reason we need to understand abortion: both wrongfully take the lives of innocent human beings. How is stem cell research done? What are the differences between embryonic and adult stem cell research? What are the moral implications? How can I respond to common pro-embryonic stem cell arguments? These questions and more are answered in this presentation.
- Q&A Questions:
- “Are all embryonic stem cells rejected when implanted into a patient’s body?”
- “If adult stem cell research is so much more effective, why do some scientists want to pursue embryonic stem cell research?”
- “Why did President Obama decide to take money away from adult stem cell research?”
- “How would personhood legislation effect cloning and stem cell research?”
Planned Parenthood Unveiled: What They Don’t Want You to Know
- Download MP3
- Many people automatically associate Planned Parenthood with abortion. It’s appropriate; they are the nation’s leading abortion provider. However, there’s a lot more to Planned Parenthood than just abortions. After discussing many of these sordid details, Josh details his controversial opinion that Planned Parenthood is NOT a racist organization, and responds to the counter-arguments often made about this subject.
- Download the Q&A Session
- BONUS: Download the Q&A session from a similar presentation in front of a different audience.
Ignorance, Fear and Apathy: 3 Problems the Church Faces in Confronting Abortion
- Download MP3
- This is the recording of a sermon Josh preached on January 22, 2012 at Free Grace Church in Clovis. After presenting three questions that Christians can answer to bring moral and theological clarity to the abortion issue, Josh takes a hard look at the main reasons that many Christians remain silent on the abortion issue, and how a proper understanding of the Gospel resolves all three of them. Josh closes with the three things that every Christians should do MINIMALLY about abortion.
Addressing Christian Silence on Abortion
- Download MP3
- This is the recording of a sermon Josh preached on January 20, 2013 at Free Grace Church in Clovis. Josh addresses two common reasons why Christians don’t take a stand to make a difference on the issue of abortion: the concern of offending people, and the argument that pro-life advocates should be focused solely on Christian evangelism. Josh argues pragmatically that pro-life work has actually given him more opportunities for evangelism and then makes a principled argument that Christians should be doing both evangelism AND speaking up for the unborn. Josh closes with some easy things that Christians can do to dip their toe in the waters of pro-life advocacy, and then takes a few questions that were texted in anonymously from the congregation.